Day 22: Zion, Las Vegas






We were up early for a good breakfast before our hike. We were both a little nervous as this hike has a reputation for its steep cliffs and 7 hikers have lost their lives on those cliffs. We hopped on the early shuttle, fully geared up with water and trail mix. Almost everyone on our shuttle was heading up to Angel’s Landing and we started getting even more nervous hearing everyone talk about conquering this trail. As we headed out on the trail, we were both very thankful for our early start, as the large mountain was blocking the morning sun from hitting the trail. We hiked the first few hundred feet in the shade and when we started reaching some of the first cliffs (these weren’t even the scary parts; the trail was wide, it just had steep cliffs on one side), we were both wondering if we could actually complete the full trail. Everyone had said the last ½ mile is the scary part, with steep cliffs on both sides with a chain to hold on to. We were told that Scout’s Lookout was still a great viewpoint and from there we could decide whether or not to brave the last ½ mile to the top. After the first few steep cliffs, the trail took us between 2 mountains with only short a drop off, we felt so safe here! Then we headed up Walter’s Wiggles, a series of 21 switchbacks built out of sandstone blocks, quickly climbing a few hundred feet. I foolishly thought we were at the top because I couldn’t see the trail; for some reason I didn’t notice we hadn’t had any scary parts or a chain. I quickly realized the reason I didn’t see the trail was because it scaled up the side of a cliff, zigzagging back and forth with a chain to guide you up. We watched other people go and an Angel’s Landing veteran assured us that this was the most challenging part (which I eventually agreed with; however, Deven did not). We forged on and finally reached Scout’s Lookout. A hiker who had passed us a little earlier was heading back from Angel’s Landing and I thought to myself, ‘It must not be that difficult, he’s already been there and back.’ We asked how it was and he said he quickly had to turn around due to a sudden onset of vertigo. As we stood watching all the people (this is a very popular hike!) cross the trail, we stared at the top in awe wondering how you could possibly make it all the way up there on that thin strip of rock? As Deven and I discussed whether or not we were up for it, the woman next to us said she had to turn around because the parts without the handrail were too much for her. We were not off to a good start! We decided to continue on our way and despite everyone saying “Don’t look down” I couldn’t help but look down every few feet. It was like when a parent tells a child not to do something and they immediately must do it. I kept looking down and I kept telling Deven to look down so that I wouldn’t be the only one seeing this insane drop off. I was holding on tightly to the chain and I think I held my breath completely when we crossed the chain-free sections (there were several!). It didn’t help that the sandstone was sometimes unpredictably slippery. Deven and I were mostly talking about how to stay safe and reminding each other to hold on tight (and I would then say, “Look down, I am!”); however, the whole time I kept thinking “Enjoy this while it lasts because you will NEVER do this again.” About halfway across, I started to get nervous about the return trip. Ranger Mike, from yesterday’s hike, said he had done the hike about 20 years earlier and would never do it again due to the nature of the return trip and the fact that you’re constantly staring straight down a 1500 foot drop off (he told us that if we look carefully, we would see his fingerprints on the chain!). As people passed us on their return trip, I asked how it was coming down and everyone assured us it was much easier. This was a good sign. The whole thing was scary, but the scariest part was passing people. The trail is only wide enough to go on one side of the chain so you either had to find a good spot to “tuck in” while people went by or you had to let go of the chain or practically hug a stranger! We eventually made it to the top and it was beautiful sitting 1500 feet above the ground on a small landing, enjoying the scenery, eating lunch and celebrating that we made it to the top! Eventually, we had to make our way back and this wasn’t as bad as we expected. I found myself thinking that I would definitely do this again and I can’t wait to get back! We walked the 2.5 miles back to the bottom feeling so proud of ourselves. Unfortunately, I don’t have great pictures of us on our journey due to the fact that I was not going to let go of that chain! As soon as we returned to the car, we were off to the complete opposite setting of a serene landing elevated among the clouds – we were heading to Las Vegas. We drove a few hours through 114 degrees with no AC, not exactly the reward we were hoping for after our triumphant morning! Upon arriving in Vegas, we had a great celebratory lunch at the Bellagio and we walked up and down the strip taking in all the sights. After our eventful day, we were thankful for surviving the hike and the heat and were looking forward to heading towards the California Coast for some cooler weather and visiting with friends!